Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Dinner

Since my whole host family has been sick all christmas break, I offered to make dinner on New Years Eve. Traditionally I have always had meat fondue with a side of salad, fries, and bernaise sauce on New Year's eve, and usually spend it with my best friend, and our families, but as I'm celebrating New Year's in Utah this year I wanted to try something new. So I ended up making steak with hasselback potatoes and baked carrots with a bernaise sauce. 
For dessert I made the same thing as we traditionally get in Denmark. A fruit salad with a cream made from whipped cream mixed with some kind of eggnog cream made from pasteurized egg yolks and sugar. In Danish we call it råcreme.

Ingredients for the dinner:
6 steaks of beef
1 lb of potatoes
6 carrots
Knorr's bernaise sauce (the best and probably only store bought sauce I would ever make)

Directions:
Slice the potatoes and place on a baking sheet. Pour a little melted butter over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt. Bake in oven for about an hour at 350 F. Bake the sliced carrots with the potatoes for the last 15-20 minutes. 
Broil the steaks in a pan for no more than 4-5 minutes on each side and season with salt and pepper. 
Prepare the bernaise sauce from instruction on the package. 


Fruit Salad

Ingredients:
Apples
Cuties/mandarins
Pear
Pineapple
Grapes + ekstra for decoration
Chocolate chips or other kind of chopped dark chocolate.
(You can use any kind of fruit you want. This is just what I used)

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 pasteurized egg yolks
1 tbsp sugar

Directions:
Cut the fruit and leave out some of the grapes for decoration. 
Start out by mixing egg yolks and sugar in a mixer. When it has a thick consistency and is almost white it is ready. In a separate bowl whip cream. Mix the two things together and stir in the fruit. decorate with chocolate and grapes.


Bon appetite, and have a great 2014 everybody! 

No comments:

Post a Comment